Wednesday, September 16, 2009

"Solo Harp" - Walter Horton and Sonny Boy Williamson


Okay, first up we got the coveted "Solo Harp" record featuring Sonny Boy and Big Walter. Notable for being - as far as I know - the only recorded instance of Big Walter playing chromatic harp (and given what he does with it, I can't really consider the scarcity of his chromatic playing to be much of a tragedy...)

But some great stuff here, especially from Sonny Boy - I love his playing and singing on this one. I dunno why this has never been re-released on CD. The sound quality isn't the greatest but it's definitely pretty decent for a "private party" recording. However, this remains a ridiculously hard to find record.

Walter Horton:
1. Blues (on chromatic harp!)
2. Shakey's Boogie
3. Things Aint What They Used To Be
4. Baby I Need Your Love
5. Medley:
a) When I Lost My Baby
b) St Louis Blues
c) Careless Love
d) John Henry

Sonny Boy Williamson:
6. I'm Down And Thinking
7. Trust My Baby
8. Bye Bye Bird
9. Blues Of The Blues
10. Work With Me
11. I'm The Loneliest Man

http://rapidshare.com/files/410616080/soloharp.zip.html

15 comments:

  1. Amazing - wanted to hear the Sonny Boy stuff for ages!! Really interesting how similar Walter Horton sounds to Sonny Boy too. The Sonny Boy with Memphis Slim in Paris was great too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for posting this one. I'm pretty sure that Sonny Boy plays the chromatic harp song. I can hear he has a jazz/swing/big band type of song in his head. He changes from the standard chord progressions on the end of the song. Sonny Boy did record more with chromatic harp on some of his chess sessions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to disagree with you on that one, bluesplayer. It very much sounds like Walter's playing to me (and the part where you can hear him say "oh babe" is quite clearly his voice & not Sonny Boy's).

    Incidentally, Walter was well known for playing big band/swing tunes - much more so than Sonny Boy, in fact ("Things Ain't What They Used to Be" being the obvious example on this record).

    Glad you liked it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Chris! Thank you very much for these rarities! Is it possible to repost this one? It is not available anymore.
    Thanks again

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stay tuned Anon - there are some rapidshare changes right now. This one will be back up in the next week or so...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks mate! If it's not asking too much, I would like to ask you to re-post the jimmy deberry & walter horton Easy and the memphis slim and SBW.
    Again, thank you very much! It is very generous of you to share these amazing records.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hmm. Didn't realize those 2 were gone... rapidshare appears to be randomly removing things & not even notifying me. Everything should be back up in the next few days, but I'm definitely starting to look around for another host...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you! I'll eagerly wait :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you very much! Amazing recordings from BWH and SBW! Is it possible also to put a new link for the SBW and Memphis Slim in Paris?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just re-upped the "Easy" record. I'm having a hard time locating my digital copy of the Sonny Boy & Slim in Paris record. I can re-record it if need be, but if anyone who has downloaded it would like to re-up it & save me some time, that would be swell...

    ReplyDelete
  11. I downloaded this Solo Harp album almost a year ago and have been listening to the Sonny Boy cuts constantly. Also the Sonny Boy in Paris.

    Do you have any more rare Sonny Boy stuff?

    Thanks:) Been a great post!

    ReplyDelete
  12. moth59@hotmail.co.ukNovember 8, 2010 at 10:27 PM

    mmm. just where is sonny boy and memphis slim in paris,its been gone for ages

    ReplyDelete
  13. month59: I just checked the Sonny Boy/Memphis Slim in Paris link - it's working fine. Try it again...

    ReplyDelete